Google
 

Monday, November 08, 2010

From Walkman To Facebook: How Tuning Out Led To Tuning In

an insightful observation on how the walkman and its successors have affected the way we interact with each other. some excerpts:

The Walkman and its offspring, such as the iPod, completely changed the way we experience music [and] the way we interact (or don't interact) with each other... transform[ing] millions of us into isolated walking zombies... Three decades later, we find ourselves seeking social connections through the very devices that isolated us in the first place.

[....]

now my music player comes loaded with the tools I need to claw my way back to a state of social interaction that is a virtual replication of life before I took my first walk with a Walkman.

[....]

Still I wonder if we wouldn't be better off occasionally removing the headphones, turning off the smart phones and returning to an age when we gathered around some over-sized speakers and social networking actually meant being together.

Don’t you sort of like the sound of that?
i do. read the whole article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment