- install SABnzbd - an Open Source Binary Newsreader written in Python
SABnzbd makes Usenet as simple and streamlined as possible […] everything […] will be automatically downloaded, verified, repaired, extracted and filed away with zero human interaction.
- Use SABnzbd in conjunction with one or more of the following:
- Sick Beard - The ultimate PVR application that downloads and manages your TV shows
NB does not download actual TV episodes, it only downloads .torrent/.nzb files. In order to automate your downloads you need to also configure SB to communicate with your favorite download program (eg can put torrents in a "watch folder")
- CouchPotato - automatic NZB and torrent downloader
You can keep a "movie I want"-list and it will search for NZBs/torrents of these movies every X hours. Once a movie is found, it will send it to SABnzbd or download the .nzb or .torrent to a specified directory.
- Headphones - sick beard for music albums and artists
of course i'm not suggesting or condoning piracy of movies and music etc, but i could definitely see a use for this sort of thing when it comes to keeping up with TV shows, particularly those from the other side of the pacific ocean. beats checking for torrents manually and/or scouring youtube.
anyway i started trying this out before realising that i'd probably need to pay for an account to access binary news groups, without which these tools won't be doing much downloading at all!
oh well, looks like it's back to an ad-hoc combination of regular PVR / torrents / youtube / local tv station websites for me...